Day Trip to San Francisco
Friday, April 25, 2014

Last week was Kaylie’s Spring Break. I wanted to make it fun so I took the week off from work and planned a few day trips. First, we went to San Francisco ~ Pier 39, Rainforest Cafe & Kinokuniya. I must say I HATE the roads in SF; they have so many one way streets AND no turns! I had to make a few big loops just to get back to where I was trying to go. That is why I’ve only driven there THREE TIMES on my own.

Pier 39

Pier 39 always reminds me of when I used to go as a kid. I loved going & I hope the girls do, too. Trish’s Mini Donuts are A MUST! There are plenty of shops and places to eat. You can see Alcatraz across the bay and watch the sea lions sunbathe. Parking, on the other hand, isn’t cheap.. it cost me $32!!

Mimi's Mini Donuts Mini Donuts

Carousel Carousel Horse

Fun Magnets Cable Car Magnets

Alcatraz

Sea Lions Sunbathing

The only Rainforest Cafe close to us is the one in San Francisco. I LOVE their Rastapasta sometimes I even crave it. It’s a short walk from the Pier so anytime we go I always try and eat there. Maddie was scared almost the entire time we were dining. She doesn’t like loud noises plus it’s pretty dim inside and the scenery comes to life about every 15min. She loved the store though! Oh and I forgot to bring the hot shoe flash for my Olympus Pen so I couldn’t really take any pictures inside the dining area, ugh!

Rainforest Cafe

Aquarium Scenery

Kinokuniya was an after thought. I mentioned going to Kaylie when we were walking back to the car & she really wanted to go. So.. after a few missed streets, not finding parking and lots of extra driving we finally made it there. I thought it was going to be a lot bigger than it actually was. Don’t get me wrong, it’s pretty big especially compared to our local one that got super condensed when they relocated inside of Mitsuwa (it’s about 1/3 the size it used to be, sigh.)

Kinokuniya

Tags: , , , ,

1. Valerie says:

That’s wonderful! I’d love to go to San Francisco. I’d actually love to visit all California but who knows maybe next year 😉 ive always wanted to take the underground there because friends told me it goes over the city not under and it’s outdoors so you get all the win haha. It must be fun, have you ever taken it?
    Have a nice day,
    Valerie 🙂

You should visit! There are a lot of fun things to do all over the state. I have never taken the trolley. That’s crazy now that I think about it, lol. My daughter wanted to ride it so maybe next time we visit. I think it would be fun and I know she would really enjoy it.

2. L A says:

I have heard driving in San Fran can be a challenge! Beautiful pictures!
    Cheers,
    L A
    .Ravishing-Ruby.blogspot.com.

3. Berrybloomxo says:

I love rainforest cafe! It is super themed and looks really funky! Oh, the doughnuts look yummy and everything looks beautiful! Hope you have another lovely day!
    xoxo,

BerryBloomXO.blogspot.co.uk

4. Nancy says:

It sounds like you had a great time with that vacation away from work. I have been to the Rainforest Cafe twice! The theme is so nice, like you have that foresty theme where the animals scream and everything. And their cake-volcano is so cool. San Francisco can be a bit of a challenge to navigate through. That reminds me of Downtown because it’s the same thing in a lot of streets (except they let you turn most of the time). All of these pictures look like fun! I think the ice cream/donut magnets are so cute!

Kinokuniya looks like a cute place to go through! I would probably want to buy all of their cute stationary stuff. Hopefully you enjoy your trip with your friend!

5. Christa says:

It all looks like so much fun! I’ve heard of the horror stories of driving around San Francisco, I have a friend who lives in the area & he’s trying to get me to visit – also have a friend who has been trying to get me to move to Cali.

The area in Pittsburgh I always hang out you can only have two hour parking and it costs around $2…so every two hours you have to go move your car or something. Reason why I don’t drive. My boyfriend and I are going to take a bus from Cleveland to Pittsburgh for my birthday and it will cost so much less if we were to drive there and deal with parking prices.

I’ve heard of the Rainforest Cafes but I’ve never been to one. I’m not even sure where the nearest one is.

There’s a shop in Pittsburgh (Shop Kawaii) – I went there for the first time last year and I was kind of bummed over how small it was. Their online shop is huge but their store is tiny and if you’re over 6ft I don’t think you can stand up in the shop. So I know how it feels to think how great a store is going to be and when you get there it’s so tiny and not what you thought it would be.

6. Amy says:

The fair looks absolutely amazing! I went to one recently 🙂 Did you go on a lot of the rides?

I like the Rainforest Cafe shop too but I’ve never been to the cafe part. I’d probably get scared of the scenery coming to life whilst I dine…

7. Michelle says:

Very beautiful photos. Yeah, I remember those kinds of streets in downtown Houston, Dallas, or even Fort Worth. I know it drove my husband crazy (pun intended :P)

But it sounds like you had a great time despite the parking cost and the extra driving.

8. Krystal says:

$32 for parking!! That is crazy.

I’ve been to the Rainforest cafe here in London. I love the inside, but it’s a real shame that there’s always a big queue and they don’t take reserverations here 🙁

9. Tara says:

Awww, I love your photos! It’s making me really want to visit San Fran . . . except I’d be walking and taking public trans everywhere since I am not a driver 🙂 Plus that crazy parking fee would definitely turn me off. And I thought Seoul had expensive parking!

The photos are also making me hungry for doughnuts. Mmmm.

10. Jessica says:

A part of me wants some of those mini doughnuts, and another part is like, “NO! You have been doing so well with not eating sweets.” I’m glad to read that y’all had a good time, and I’m definitely wanting to visit San Francisco even more now. I’d also be a big supporter of taking public transportation everywhere – mainly because I don’t drive at all and I wouldn’t want to spend $32 for parking. That’s completely crazy. 🙁

If I lived in San Francisco I would definitely ride a bike, walk or something, lol. It’s just too crazy to drive around daily.